Wednesday, July 28, 2010

iPhone & iTouch Wireless Access at PSU

Hats off to the hard working folks at our Computer Support at Penn State College of Agricultural Sciences - IT Unit.  This is a special shout out to Lori and Mike that helped me recently, and I have to say, the immediate turn around just amazed me.  Thanks again Lori and Mike!!!


I recently purchased an Apple iTouch to use as a PDA and to access my Outlook email when away from the office.  I have found it to be relatively easy to start-up and use, but in the past month with the changeover of Outlook, I developed an issue that prevented me from accessing my email.

A quick email to:

AgCompSupport@psu.edu

and an even quicker response from LORI with the suggestion of deleting and recreating my profile worked as fast as I typed it in and pressed ENTER.  Lori also provided me with this "how-to" resource link for configuring iPhones (that is also good for the iTouch):   



Then while arranging for my transition to my new EN computer, and with yet another quick response from MIKE, I inquired about the steps necessary to access the Penn State wireless network on my iTouch while I am at Penn State.  Mike quickly emailed this link:  

http://kb.its.psu.edu/article/1310


Here is the entirety ITS Knowledge Base sheet that Mike sent:

iPhone Wireless 2.0 Download & Installation


This service is only available to users with a valid Penn State Access Account. 
This installation requires the user to connect to the network called pennstate in order to download the certificate installation.

Download

  • Open the Settings menu.
  • Select the Wi-Fi tab.
  • Select pennstate from the list of available networks.
  • Wait until a check mark appears beside the pennstate network name.
  • Go back to your Home screen.
  • Select the Safari browser.
  • Select Apple iPhone/iPod Touch software version 2.0 and above.
  • Click Submit.

Installation

  • Select Install from the install profile prompt.
  • Select Install Now from the warning prompt.
  • Enter your Penn State Access Account.
  • Enter your Penn State Access Account password.
  • Click Done from the profile installed prompt.
NOTE:  The first time you connect using the Wireless 2.0, you will be asked to accept a certificate. Click Accept.

No comments:

Post a Comment